Certain people are probably getting sick of me referencing Chookooloonks, but it’s my favourite blog. It lifts my spirits, always. It calms me, always. And something like that deserves a special place in my life.
Karen Walrond is the beauty behind the blog, and about a year ago I read her life list. I love this idea. I also love her tips for creating your own life list. Maggie Mason, aka Mighty Girl, who inspired Karen to do this, suggests that everyone should create a life list. I thought about doing this for a long time. It percolated. It existed as fragments in the space where my mental lists live. And then one day in early January 2011 I wrote it down.
I’ve since pondered this list some more, though I haven’t done a whole lot with it. I intended to post it here much sooner, but other stuff took up space in my brain.
Well, now I want to take my brain back.
This list isn’t complete – a couple of things might come off and lots more might go on. You’ll see some themes here, and I’d like to expand the variety a bit. I’d like to do more with some of Karen’s great tips, like doing something you love many, many times. But that will come.
For now, this is my list of things I want to do during my life:
- Go on an African safari/photo tour.
- Spend a month in Hawaii.
- Volunteer again.
Attend a bloggers’ conference for strong women. - BlogHer ’11, August 2011!
- Speak at a blog conference.
- Attend a TED talk.
- Spend a month somewhere tropical (other than Hawaii) by the ocean.
Take a photography course. - June 20, 2011. Read about it here.
Get in the habit of taking more photographs.– I’m going to count this as done thanks to my iPhone and Instagram.
- Live in another country for a year.
- Visit Ireland again.
- Visit Bad Neuenahr/Ahrweiler (Germany) again.
- Take language classes for a new language.
- Run a marathon.
Cut my hair really short.Done! July 13, 2011. Short blurb here.
- Create a philanthropic fund.
Do a public speaking engagement about postpartum depression.Done! Read about my radio interview here and my TEDx talk here.
- Travel across Europe.
- Celebrate New Year’s Eve somewhere fancy.
- Really learn how to use a graphics editing program.
- See the Northern Lights.
- Ride in a hot air balloon.
- Get another master’s degree.
- Take Connor and Ethan (and Rich) to Disneyland.
- Write something and have it published in a major magazine.
- Win an award from a well-known professional organization for my work.
- Teach a course.
- Write a children’s book.
- Learn how to play poker.
- Learn how to make a cup of tea – properly.
Have another child.– Done! Read the story.
- Complete a triathlon.
- Be an extra in a movie.
- Act in a stage play again.
- Visit Antarctica.
- Learn more about my family history.
- Take flying lessons.
- Stay in the ice hotel.
- Have a tree house. A really nice one.
- Visit all the continents.
- Own a house outright.
- Own a vacation property.
- Get to Mt. Everest’s base camp.
- Pay for a stranger’s dinner in a restaurant.
- Improve my 10K personal best.
- Take part in a silent retreat.
Spend a weekend alone.April 27, 2011. Not as expected, but it counts. Read about it here.
- Visit the Galapagos Islands.
- Learn CPR.
- Learn to hit a golf ball on the first try.
- Speak in front of a large audience (over 500 people).
Get my personal email inbox to zero.(I’ve done this with both my personal and work email. It’s a miracle! This strategy from 5 Minutes for Mom is brilliant.)
- Get some form of exercise every day for 30 days straight. – In progress, January 2013.
Get a colourful streak put in my hair.Done! Read about it here.
- Give blood 5 more times. – 1 down (July 5, 2011), 4 to go!
- Write a book and have it published.
- Participate in a flash mob.
- Get a tattoo to commemorate beating PPD.
- Help someone else with her life list.
I’m going to start doing some of these things and will post updates on my progress.
Anyone else have a life list?